Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Do you know anyone who will go to heaven for sure?"

This was the last question my dad asked our young taxi cab driver before the Holy Spirit welled up in me in such a way that my heart burned. The moment we had entered into the taxi cab on our way to a meeting I felt drawn to talk with Eek. He is 23 years old (although looks no older than 16) and had been driving a taxi for 3 years. Although his goal is to go to college he feels burdened to work and save money to help put his younger sister through high school (you have to pay to go to school here). He is talkative and fun-loving. Our conversation started with normal things like what makes Thailand a great country (his answer: the King of Thailand, and the incredible Food).

We continued asking questions about Thai culture, until finally my Dad asked, "In Thai culture, where do people think the world came from?" Eek paused and answered, "I don't know. I have never thought about it." The discussion continued with both my Dad and I sharing parts of God's story. Until finally, my Dad asked the questions, "Do you know anyone who will go to heaven for sure?" Eek said, "No. Everyone probably has to come back and try again in another life." My heart was bursting. "Eek, can I speak plainly?" "Please do," he said. "I know that I am going to heaven for sure. But I am not perfect. Jesus made a way for me..." We went on to explain the rest of the gospel. As we talked, Eek would repeat back, "Oh so you mean that Jesus died in the place of me..."

We arrived at our destination. But before we got out of the car I handed Eek a Jesus video in Thai. "Watch this. It will tell you more about Jesus' life." "Thank you, this is something I have never understood before. I will watch it."

I don't know if I will ever meet Eek again. But I pray that the seed planted will grow and blossom.

This is love. I still struggle to explain the gospel in Thai, and even if I look silly doing so I will share about my King!

Our meeting that we were traveling to was also very encouraging. We talked with Jennifer Mullens from Power to Change, an organization that is working closely with the church leaders of Thailand to develop an interactive training website for pastors and christians. Very exciting work! We are seeking ways to partner with them in developing training on evangelism and discipleship.

The cry of my heart this morning comes from Psalm 27:11 "Teach me your way, O Lord, lead me in a straight path..." The Lord promises to show us what he is doing (See John 15:15). Today as I order food from the Auntie who sells at the corner stall I want to learn more about the compassion of the Lord and hear what He is already doing in this Auntie's life.

In the meantime, it is time to get ready for the day!

No comments: