Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A 6-Week Journey

I sent out this email en route to Thailand. For the benefit of those that did not receive it, I repeat it here:

I am sitting in the terminal of the Taipei city airport awaiting my connection flight to Bangkok, Thailand. Even after a 14 hour flight it is amazing how alive I feel as I touched down in a familiar city (I lived here for 3 summers during college). But my heart looks forward to the sights and smells of Thailand.

For the past week I have sought the Lord about the purpose or theme for this trip. Often the Lord gives me a promise or picture of what to expect as I go out. This time was no exception, however, I was really excited when the Lord showed me that the promise involved YOU. Let me explain.

The focus for my heart for the past few months is pictured in Isaiah 50 which describes a disciple of the Lord who listens, obeys, and is able to sustain others with words of life. The Lord spoke to me out of this passage for this trip. As I cultivate my awareness of the presence of God, listen to His voice, and obey the Kingdom of Heaven WILL be advanced. My life will be changed and people around me will be affected.

As I thought about how to communicate this to you, the Lord showed me that the promise was not just for ME. As you take part in this journey through prayer I believe this will happen as a community. This is possible for your life as well.

Before I left, I shared this promise with several people. Everyone I talked to shared that they also long for an increase of the presence of God in their lives.

So I want to challenge you, will you go on a six-week journey with me? I will be communicating through email and my blog what happens as I listen to the Lord MOMENT BY MOMENT. Will you do the same?
A friend asked me, “How exactly do I step into this?” I thought long and hard about this. For me, I am feeding myself on the promises of God’s word. And in each situation I find myself in I ask, “Holy Spirit what are you doing right now and how can I be a part of it?” I am also reading books and listening to podcasts out of Bill Johnson’s church in Redding California (check out ibethel.org) where they are experiencing incredible moves of God (I am especially benefiting from Bill Johnson's latest book Face to Face with God). I am doing whatever I can to build my faith and understanding of the Kingdom.

Join me. And as you journey please share so that I can learn from what you are experiencing.

1 comment:

Macchiatto said...

I am excited for you--and us as the community--during this journey!