Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bangkok in Full Color: Learning to Love

Once again I walked the streets of the center of Bangkok last night. I was on my way to a meeting with my Dad and the pastor of Jaisamarn Church, the largest church in Bangkok and a solid leader in advancing the Kingdom in Thailand.

While talking with my colleague and friend Art, my heart was taking in the sights and sounds around me: uneven pavement, foodstalls and swarms of people, foreign men walking with young Thai girls, the smell of exhaust from taxis, cars and motorcycles, and finally a woman sitting on the street begging. My eyes locked on her cheap plastic prosthetic leg. How did she lose it? Is she a refugee from Burma? Would she understand me if I spoke to her in Thai? How can I help her? I was following a group and therefore kept walking. But the picture locked in my mind.

This morning I woke up at 3 AM (my body is a still confused about what region I am in). I began asking about the ministry of Jesus. Jesus walked the streets and in many places the scripture tells us that He healed "all the sick" Matthew 8:16. I look at my own life in comparison to Jesus. I am tempted to be discouraged by the fact that I am not YET doing all that Jesus did ( I do believe it is possible). However, through reading Face to Face with God, I was reminded that Jesus spent the early years of his life growing "in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:52. Even though Jesus was the Son of God, he modeled the fact that we must grow into a place where the Spirit rests upon us and the Lord speaks over us, "This is my Son whom I love; with Him I am well pleased." Matt 3:17. So I think that learning to listen to the voice of the Spirit and obey is part of growing in favor with the Lord.

So naturally my next question is, "What can i do NOW when I meet a woman begging on the street?" I am sure Jesus saw many people sick and hurting before His time came. This morning, I found my answer in John 15. Jesus' progression of thought is what caught my heart. "Abide in my love. If you obey my commandments you abide in my love. This is my commandment: love one another." Therefore, Abiding in the love of Jesus = loving others.

So my goal today, is to approach every interaction with the people that I meet by asking, "Lord, how can I demonstrate your love in this moment." I choose to love boldly, through praying or talking about Jesus or smiling or saying words of blessing. As I do so I expect the Holy Spirit to move with me.

I will let you know how it goes. =-)

1 comment:

Macchiatto said...

I love that goal. :)