Sunday, February 25, 2007

"If you give food to the hungry..."



I was walking to church yesterday through the noisy streets of bangkok. I looked at the 4 lanes of traffic seperating myself and the other side of the road where I needed to be and decided that I needed to walk to the nearest flyover to safely cross. About 200 meters down the road I began climbing the uneven concrete steps of the foot bridge. At the top I met a familiar, heart-wrenching sight. Sitting on the top of the bridge was a woman with a baby in her arms and a little girl no less that 2 years of age next to her. The little girl was squirming and the mother scolded quickly sat her back down and replaced the small plastic cup in her hands. All of them were in thread-bare clothing. "Lord, what can I do??", My heart cried out. I bent down and started talking with the little girl. I realized in a few moments that she didn't understand. After looking more closely at thier faces I saw that these were not actually Thais, they were cambodian refugees who had run from the desperate situtation in thier home country with the hopes of finding something more in Thailand. The mother also did not understand Thai. I lingered for a moment and then reached in my bag to find something to give them. All I had was 100 baht, about $2.50. This would be enough to feed them for a few days. As I walked away my heart was grieved. I am often frustrated feeling that I want to do more. How can I help change their future? What will happen to that little girl? Thier faces are burned into my memory. Oh Lord, protect them. Show me how I can meet the needs of the hurting and hungry in Thailand. I remember Isaiah 58, "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out? When you see the naked that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh? THEN your light shall break forth like the morning, and your healing chall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you, and the GLORY of the Lord shall be you rear guard."

The above pictures are of refugees in Cambodia in line waiting to enter Thailand with the hope of finding work and food. The mother and child, although not who I described above, are cambodians in similar situation.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Jessie, I rejoice with you in what God is doing in and through you! May you see His power today, friend, and may he pour out His wisdom upon you regarding how to respond to the overwhelming needs around you...